This recipe is one of my all time favorites. It is a staple dinner in my household and I’ve also been known to bring it to a pot luck. It is so easy and makes the perfect substitute for buffalo chicken wings if you are looking for something a little more nutritious.
There are multiple options for cooking the chicken. I use the Instant Pot because it is my favorite and laziest way. I’m all about the quickest solution. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, first of all, get on it. Ok but you can also use a slow cooker, it will just take about 6 hours to slow cook the chicken. If you do have an Instant Pot, here is a lazy trick. You can use frozen chicken breasts and just throw them in. No need to thaw or adjust the time. Seriously. It will take the Instant Pot a little longer to come to pressure, but it does not change the cooking time. Talk about easy.
Being the lazy cook that I am, I use coleslaw mix to avoid shredding carrots and cabbage, but you are more than welcome to do that yourself. You will not use the whole bag of coleslaw mix, so I usually plan another meal for the week that will use it.
I hope you enjoy one of my favorite meals! If you do, let me know.
Buffalo Chicken Quinoa
- Instant Pot
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp hot sauce I use Texas Pete
- 1.5 cup quinoa, dry
- 3 cup water
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot. Pour 1 cup of water and 2 tbsp of hot sauce on top. Close lid and turn vent to sealing. Set to high pressure for 14 minutes.
- Pour the 1.5 cup of quinoa and 3 cups of water in a large stockpot. Choose a large pot because all ingredients will be added to this pot later to mix.
- Bring quinoa to a boil, then lower, covered, to a low simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Arrange chopped broccoli on a sheet pan. Drizzle with a little oil. Roast broccoli for 10 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Mix buffalo sauce ingredients. For the easiest mixing, add buffalo sauce and olive oil in a small jar and shake. It is also ok to whisk in a bowl.
- When the chicken is done, quick release the instant pot. Remove chicken and shred with a fork.
- Add shredded chicken, roasted broccoli, slaw mix and buffalo sauce to the pot with the quinoa. Mix well.
- Garnish with green onion and blue cheese.